This mild and delicious stir fry is perfect for a family meal. I often make stir fries for dinner – bottom of the fridge stir fries using up leftover ingredients are a favourite in our house – but this is the first stir fry I have made using fish. I was always afraid it would break up too much, but provided you add it towards the end and stir gently, it stays in lovely luscious chunks.
I was inspired by a recipe in Waitrose Weekend, a weekly free newspaper published by one of my local supermarkets in the UK. Their version used frozen salmon and frozen broccoli and was very inexpensive to make. My adaptation includes a couple of extra ingredients and I used fresh fish, but depending on the price of salmon in your area, it can still be a very economical choice.
I used Basmati rice for it’s wonderful flavour and texture, but your favourite variety of rice will be absolutely fine. I was amazed at how well frozen broccoli worked in this recipe – the trick is thaw it a bit first by pouring boiling water over top – but fresh broccoli would work beautifully too.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 medium skinless and boneless salmon fillets
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 cups fresh or frozen broccoli florets
- 1 red pepper
- 2 tablespoons low salt soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon runny honey
- pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C or 180°C for a fan oven).
- Place a large sheet of aluminum foil on a baking sheet. Brush the foil with olive oil and lay the salmon fillets on top.
- Sprinkle the salmon fillets with salt and pepper and wrap the foil round them in a sort of parcel, sealing the top and sides.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily with a fork. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to package directions. When it is cooked, drain and set aside.
- If using frozen broccoli, place it in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Cover the bowl and let the broccoli sit for five minutes before draining and setting aside.
- Heat the sesame oil in a frying pan or wok. When it is very hot, add onion and stir fry for about two minutes until it begins to soften.
- Add the broccoli and red pepper and stir fry for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Break the salmon up into large pieces with a fork, and add it to the broccoli and pepper with the cooked rice.
- Mix the soy sauce and honey together in a small bowl and gently fork through the stir fry.
- Allow to cook for a minute or so to heat through.
- Taste for seasoning, adding a bit of pepper if necessary.
- Serve in warmed bowls.
Adapted from Waitrose Weekend